151 N. Sunrise Avenue
Roseville, CA 95661
State of California: G062862
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Recertified 7/10
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 8/90
Professional Organizations and Committees
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1991-present
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, 2001-present
California Medical Association, 1989-present
California Orthopedic Association
Placer-Nevada County Medical Society, 1989-present.
Board of Directors, 1992-1993
Western Orthopaedic Association, 2001-present.
Chairman, Dept. of Surgery, Sutter Roseville Medical Center, 1994-1995, 2004-2005
Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA. 7/84-6/88
Editor: Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, 1986-87.
Associate Editor: Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, 1985-86.
Internship: Rotating, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 7/83-7/84
Medical School: University of California at San Francisco, M.D., 6/83
Graduate School: Stanford University, Stanford, CA. M.S., 6/79
Undergraduate: Stanford University, Stanford, CA. B.A. with departmental honors 6/78. Varsity Letter, Skiing.
Roseville Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, 8/88-present.
Team Physician, Sierra College Sports, Rocklin, CA, 1993-present.
Training Camp Physician, S.F. 49ers, Rocklin, CA, 1993-1997
Residency and Internship, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 7/83-6/88
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Stanford Medical Center, Stanford, CA 7/78-8/79
Research Assistant: Cartilage Biochemistry.
Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, CA 6/77-8/77
Teaching Assistant/Dive Master for "Sub tidal Communities" course.
City of Seaside, Seaside, CA 8/77-9/87
Recreation Tennis, Inc., Los Altos, CA, 5/76-8/76 and 6/75-8/75
Posters and Exhibits
- "Comparison of Three Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Techniques": Western Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 9/01
- "Comparison of Three Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Techniques. Are We Improving?": Iowa Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Society 1st Annual Meeting, 12/00
- "Long Term Follow-up of Conservatively Treated Shaft Fractures of the Tibia and Fibula": American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2/89
- "In Vitro Cartilage Degradation by Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus": Orthopaedic Research Society, Atlanta, GA, February, 2/80
"Quantitative Microanalysis of Synovial Fluid and Articular Cartilage Glycosaminoglycans" Annual Meeting Orthopaedic Research Society, San Francisco, CA, 2/79
- Merchant, T.: "Comparison of Three Patellar Tendon Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Techniques With Emphasis on Tunnel Location and Outcome. Are Our Results Improving?" Iowa Orthopaedic Journal. 21:25-30. (2001)
- Dietz, F. and Merchant, T.: "Indications for Osteotomy of the Tibia in Children." J. Pediatric Orthop. 10:486-490 (1990)
- Merchant, T. and Dietz, F.: "Long Term Follow-Up After Fractures of the Tibial and Fibular Shafts." J. Bone and Joint Surg. 71-A (4): 599-606 (1989).
- Smith, R.L., Merchant, T., Schurman, D.: In Vitro Cartilage Degradation by Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus auerus. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 25(4); 441-446 (1982).
- Smith, R.L., Gilkerson, E., Kohatsu, N., Merchant, T., Schurman, D.: "Quantitative Microanalysis of Synovial Fluid and Articular Cartilage Glycosaminoglycans. Analytical Biochem. 103: 191-200 (1980).
Skiing (all types), Tennis, Soccer (play), Youth Soccer Coach (10 yrs), Guitar, Backpacking, Sailing, Diving
Rotator Cuff Strengthening Program
Range of Motion Exercises for the Shoulder
ACL Reconstruction Rehabilitation Protocol
Home Patellar Stabilization Program
Surgery Aftercare Instructions - Rotator Cuff Repair
Shoulder Arthroscopy Post-operative Instructions
ACL Tear Prevention Program
Routine Knee Arthroscopy Aftercare Instructions